“A system of decision rights and accountabilities for information-related processes, executed according to agreed-upon models which describe who can take what actions with what information, and when, under what circumstances, using what methods.”
Data governance refers to the overall management of the availability, usability, integrity, and security of the data employed in an enterprise. A sound data governance program includes a governing body or council, a defined set of procedures, and a strategy to execute those procedures.
The initial step in the implementation of a data governance program involves defining the owners or custodians of the data assets in the enterprise. Subsequently:
- A policy must be developed that specifies who is accountable for various portions or aspects of the data, including its accuracy, accessibility, consistency, completeness, and updating.
- Processes must be defined concerning how the data is to be stored, archived, backed up, and protected from mishaps, theft, or attack.
- A a set of standards and procedures must be developed that defines how the data is to be used by authorized personnel.
- Finally, a set of controls and audit procedures must be put into place that ensures ongoing compliance with government regulations.
Data governance is an ongoing process that ensures that data warehouse initiatives align with corporate business objectives today and into the future. Scyllogis have significant experience in helping customers establish an effective data governance structure enabling our customers to prioritize, validate and manage this ongoing series of projects, helping you to understand and manage strategic and tactical data, take project ownership from a data perspective, and accurately prioritise data projects
Data Governance adds value to information by building confidence in your organisation’s ability to increase security, enhance operational effectiveness, and boost profitability.
Scyllogis have helped our customers implement Data Governance initiatives and we can so the same for you by helping you understand the implications of your responses to the following questions
- How developed is your Data Governance?
- Do you have an established Data Governance program?
- Are your Data Governance processes clearly documented and communicated to IT and other organizations?
- Are these processes repeatable with consistent results?
- Is your organization’s Data Governance documentation comprehensive enough for regulatory reviews?
- How effectively do you leverage metrics to monitor your Data Governance program?
- What types of tools are you using to manage metadata?
Scyllogis employ a proven, hands-on approach to implementing and enhancing integrated Data Governance in three phases, 1) Design, 2) Plan, and 3) Execute. Working with your teams, under your direction, we assess where your organization falls on a data governance maturity model. Then we work with you to develop a roadmap for implementation or improvement.
Our approach in building Data Governance strategies differs from other consultancies in that we have always offered both strategic solutions and practical implementation. As a high-value, professional services model, we are uniquely positioned to help you with optimizing:
- Data Transformation
- Information Security
- Data Privacy Compliance
- Data Analytics including Business Performance Management and Business Intelligence
With a 15 year foundation of expertise built upon working with global insurers and reinsurers, Scyllogis will help you build a data governance framework that avoids the operational impact of business disruptions and works toward common objectives to keep your business on track.
We offer comprehensive expertise in all aspects of data governance, including assessment and audit services: This includes:
- Managing and leveraging your company’s data and information assets acquired daily through your operating business processes, eg:
- Defining day-to-day activities of creating, using and retiring data
- Describing how, when and by whom data was received, created, accessed, modified and/or formatted
- Determining whether data is fit for its intended use, including completeness and business-rule compliance
- Implementing processes to cleanse, transform, integrate and enrich fresh data across subject areas
- Addressing security and privacy compliance across integrated subjects
- Managing master data by examining data assets and relationships that define enterprise operations
- Aligning all stakeholders on policies and procedures,
- Reducing risks and maximizing productivity,
- Minimizing data governance adoption time through our pragmatic approach.
Our Data Governance methodology comprises the following phases:
- Conducting interview and working sessions with key business and IT stakeholders to clearly understand the current state, overall vision, and strategy for data governance within the organization
- Performing gap-analyses of current state with best practices around Data Governance
- Creating a data management road map for the organization (Strategic Planning) for the following inter-related data competencies:
Our Data Governance methodology is unique because of its pragmatic nature: We tend to focus on shorter three to six month incremental projects versus one larger project. Using this methodology, an organization can see quick, demonstrable results – usually in conjunction with an MDM, Data Quality, or Business Intelligence project.